Re: Network attached storage and backup

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> said,
> > [snip]
>
> Specifics.  We need much more.
>
> How much performance do you need?  I.e., how many users will be
> hitting it at the same time, what kind of apps run on the box, etc?

Just me. Maybe myself and one other user. I don't need a lot of
performance once it's up and running. It's network attached, so I
don't really need more disk throughput than I can get out of my
100Base-TX network connection.

> When you say "100+ GB", do you mean 100-150GB, or something *much*
> larger?

Between 100 and 300 gigs, I guess. I have almost 200 gigs of data that
I'd be storing and backing up, but I can predict a need for more
storage in the future.

> PS - I've been using Linux on Via chipsets for 4 years, and have
> had very good success, and no negative h/w issues.

I couldn't get my hard drive to operate with DMA on this Abit KT-7A
RAID motherboard (not using the RAID controller, just the onboard
controller). One of the other debian-users here was kind enough to
send me his old PCI ATA controller, so I can hopefully use that to get
DMA working. You can check the archives for the problems I had with
this fileserver initially, while copying files from my old hard drives
on another machine (WinXP) to this new one.

--
Aaron Bieber
-