Re: Do we really need to worry about viruses

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 03:24:21PM -0500, Ray wrote:

> i personally have not seen an email virus work on *ix, but as far as
> damage, you normally don't need full root access to destroy a box for
> a user.  after all, most people keep their work in places that they
> can work on them (read+write access) and for home linux users a
> rm -Rf ~
> sucks almost as much as a rooted rm -Rf / would.
> for busines users it still would cause a lot of damage, but hopefully
> they have backups.
>
> "home, its where i keep all my stuff."

Aye, but you do have backups right?  Are your backup locations
accessible as mounted file systems where your user has ready read/write
access to them?  I would certainly hope not.

--
Jamin W. Collins

To be nobody but yourself when the whole world is trying it's best night
and day to make you everybody else is to fight the hardest battle any
human being will fight. -- E.E. Cummings