Re: Do we really need to worry about viruses

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 14:04, Alan Shutko wrote:
> Michael D Schleif <mds@helices.org> writes:
>
> > In fact, just this week, I am engaged with a prominent software
> > development company, and every one of the developers develops on
> > various Linux boxen, and every one of them insists on running as root.
>
> Could you name names, so we know which imbeciles to avoid?  The two
> Unix development houses I've worked at never did that.
>
> Of course, the parent post was wrong.  Even as non-root, you have to
> worry about email viruses or click-thru vectors, because _they don't
> need root to work_.

How can an email virus work on *ix?

And a click-thru virus (or is it really a trojan?) can only do
damage to files that you have privs to touch (unless there's a bug
in Java or JavaScript).

> --
> Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> - I am the rocks.
> Guns don't kill people, OS/2 salesmen do...

No *that* is funny.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"As I like to joke, I may have invented it, but Microsoft made
it popular"
David Bradley, regarding Ctrl-Alt-Del