Re: Anyone else notice that Swen is slowing down?

on Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 09:20:25PM -0500, Michael D Schleif (mds@helices.org) wrote:
> "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> [2003:10:01:00:53:46+0100] scribed:
> > on Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 12:11:16PM -0400, Mike Mueller (linux-support@earthlink.net) wrote:
> > >
> > > Hear! Hear!  No more attachments - period.  I'll settle for elimination of
> > > any known sort of executable though.
> >
> > No.
> >
> > Specifically:  executables.  Various other mail 'sploits -- there are
> > some header buffer overflows, IIRC affecting LookOut -- exist and should
> > be filtered as well.  But specifically, AUPs against transmission of
> > executable content, and concomittant filtering, would serve a useful
> > purpose.  There are opaque formats, from zip to tarball to encrypted
> > payloads, which can be used by those sufficiently clueful to handle the
> > task appropriately.
> >
> > MIME attachments of themselves serve many useful functions.  There's an
> > awful lot of baby in that bathwater.  Starting with the signature on
> > this message.
>
> I agree, up to a point.
>
> What really constitutes an `executable' program -- surely *not* its file
> extension ?!?!

That's one distinction.  Specifically, the set of extensions listed at

    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/8/2003/03/4/51848j

There's also the binary sequence which begins any Microsoft executable.

For the current task of restricting transmission of viral mail load by
agarware such as Outlook, use of either or both criteria in filtering /
rejecting mail would work.

Peace.

   Kudos to Gateway's Digital Music Campaing & stand against the RIAA.
     http://www.gateway.com/home/deals/offers/music/dmz.shtml