Re: Anyone else notice that Swen is slowing down?

"Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> [2003:10:02:00:37:35+0100] scribed:
> on Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 09:39:25AM -0500, Michael D Schleif (mds@helices.org) wrote:
> > "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> [2003:10:01:07:17:43+0100] scribed:
>
> > > For the current task of restricting transmission of viral mail load by
> > > agarware such as Outlook, use of either or both criteria in filtering /
> > > rejecting mail would work.
> >
> > Yes, so long as you limit this to Microsoft operating system
> > executables.  My point is that there are dangerous executables out there
> > that are *not* Microsoft-specific . . .
>
> Please share this knowledge.  What executables are you awaree of
> affecting non-Microsoft systems which are in general circulation and
> which auto-execute on receipt by arbitrary systems in stock
> configuration?

Seriously, I do understand and empathize with what you are saying.

What I am saying is -- IMHO -- especially in light of the problems that
I have experienced with Swen, auto-executing virus/worms are only *part*
of the problem.  Social engineering is often scoffed at as a real
threat; but, what we see with Swen is so real looking that people I know
have actually __manually__ clicked on those attachments!

That kind of executable -- one that entices a user to click on it -- is
just as real a threat to non-Microsoft userland, that I insist that your
point is not all inclusive of the threats at hand.  Simply because there
is not yet a major, far reaching virus/worm propagating primarily from
Linux boxen, does not rule out the existence of a threat . . .

What say you?

--
Best Regards,

mds