Re: Debian Desktop for a Joe Average

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 16:58, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 09:43:26AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > Don't go directly from stable to unstable!!  Too radical
>
> It's not significantly more radical than stable to testing. I don't
> think there's much benefit in trying to go from stable to unstable via
> testing, especially considering that there are things broken in testing
> that work in unstable for one reason or another (e.g. apt-listchanges).

I'm sorry, I have to disagree with you on this one. Several people on
this list have complained about broken dependencies and uninstallable
packages when upgrading from stable to unstable. Upgrading to testing
and then to unstable solved their problems. I was one of them and IIRC,
I've responded to at least two others on this list with the same
problems. When I bought my new laptop only a few weeks ago I had to deal
with the same issues. Going through testing solved them all.

David

--
Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!