Re: Debian Desktop for a Joe Average

On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 10:59, Martin Jungowski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have to admit that I don't know squat about Slackware. I have never
> used it, apparantly it's pretty good though. A friend of mine says it's
> "the only Linux he'll ever use" but I wouldn't count too much into that
> - he also said that "Windows is going to be the only OS I'll ever use"
> about two months ago.
>
> What package management format is Slackware based upon? Also RPM or
> something else? Because if it's RPM then Slackware is going to face the
> very same problems every single RPM-based distribution out there is
> facing.

tgz

IIRC, it's boot scripts are very BSDish, i.e., One Big Script,
instead of SysV-type run levels, which is what most everyone else
uses.

[big snippage]

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"Oh, great altar of passive entertainment, bestow upon me thy
discordant images at such speed as to render linear thought
impossible"
Calvin, regarding TV