Re: Debian Desktop for a Joe Average

On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 11:19:06AM +1200, Edward Murrell wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> A friend of mine has had Windows installed for over a year. He's getting
> somewhat sick of it due to the recent spate of virus and spyware that's
> rendered his machine unusable. He's asked me to reinstall Windows, and
> Linux in a dual boot configuration.

IMHO don't try to emulate Windows: your solution will always seem
inferior by comparison.

I don't have a KDE or Gnome environment; I have a killer QT3 and GTK2
environment managed by Fluxbox, plus Moz Firebird from source.  There's
other apps that "round it out" like XMMS, Mplayer, OpenOffice, abcde,
&c.; it takes about a month and a couple dozen "false starts" to learn
what that list is for you!