Re: vim: available colors?

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 03:04:22PM +0000, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
| On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 08:49:58 +0100, Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> penned:
| > On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 03:10:00AM +0000, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
| >> I'm mucking with syntax highlighting in vim (specifically, I like dark
| >> backgrounds, but the red (for strings) and the blue (for comments) are
| >> almost impossible for me to read).
| >
| > Have you tried ':set background=dark'? That's usually a quick way to get
| > readable colours.

| My background is black as night -- blacker, actually.

In that case, you need to put "set background=dark" in your vimrc to
correct the problem.  The thing is, vim has no way of knowing whether
your terminal (or xterm) has a white or black background.  Since xterm
and gvim default to a white background, vim defaults to assuming you
have a white background.  Thus the colors used for highlighting are
somewhat dark, to contrast with the white background.  Setting
'bg=dark' in vim doesn't change your background, but rather tells vim
that your background is dark so that it will use lighter colors which
contrast with the dark background (but are impossible to read on a
white background).

(type ":help background" in vim)

-D

--
What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his
soul?  Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?

http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/