Re: Debian Desktop for a Joe Average

Hi,

That is not nonsense. I used to have Mandrake 8 running on one of my
computers and it sure as hell was dependency hell. Even with Mandrake's
own RPMs for Mandrake 8, I sometimes was unable to install software
because of

- unmet dependencies: libraries could not be found even though they were
installed
- version conflicts: the package required library X version > 2.4.2 but
I had installed library X v. 2.4.3 or 2.4.2-1 and clearly... meh, you
see where this is goign
- verion conflicts: the package required other packages to be installed
that were either not available on the Mandrake CD-ROMs or the Mandrake
FTP-Server or once again, that dreaded version conflict hit me

It was even worse when trying to avoid RPM dependency hell and compiling
software from scratch - again I was facing dependency issues (could not
find the library in /usr/lib even though it was there) or version
conflicts (2.4.2 vs. 2.4.2-1). Something always happened and kept me
from installing new software until some day, I finally had it up to here
*holding hand over head* and got rid of any RPM based distributions.

But even today, I'm still running some. Since Debian-AMD64 is not
available yet, I'm running RedHat-AMD64, Mandrake-AMD64 and SuSE-AMD64
along with Debian unstable on my Opteron and once again, dependency hell
24/7. They're all great (except for maybe SuSE, I don't really like
YaST2 or their "idea" of Linux) as long as one does not have to install
any additional software.

MJ