Re: Debian Desktop for a Joe Average

David Palmer. wrote:
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 11:49:13 +0200
Martin Jungowski <jungowsk@in.tum.de> wrote:

On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 02:31, Tom wrote:

On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 11:19:06AM +1200, Edward Murrell wrote:

Hi there,

A friend of mine has had Windows installed for over a year. He's
getting somewhat sick of it due to the recent spate of virus and
spyware that's rendered his machine unusable. He's asked me to
reinstall Windows, and Linux in a dual boot configuration.

IMHO don't try to emulate Windows: your solution will always seem
inferior by comparison.

I don't have a KDE or Gnome environment; I have a killer QT3 and
GTK2 environment managed by Fluxbox, plus Moz Firebird from source.
There's other apps that "round it out" like XMMS, Mplayer,
OpenOffice, abcde, &c.; it takes about a month and a couple dozen
"false starts" to learn what that list is for you!

Yes, that may seem for you. But Joe Average needs a desktop
environment that is easy to use albeit powerful enough for him. The
problem is that geeks/power users can never think the way beginners
do, they see things from totally different angles.

Your environment might be ok for you and maybe a dozen other power
users. But it will definitely not be ok for Mr. Average who's looking
for a Windows replacement OS.

Martin

Just get Libranet 2.8.1 at http://www.libranet.com
It has the latest version of Open Office on it which will give him all
he needs.
Regards,

David.

If I should advice somebody new to Linux, I would say RedHat, that's where I started.
RedHat 9 has a great installer and contains anything a normal user will ever need, including OpenOffice.Org.
Besides, if you have Windows on the machine before installing Linux it will automatically install it in the boot-loader.
(use LILO)
Sturla