Re: Debian Desktop for a Joe Average

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 19:14:38 +0200,
Manrtin Jungowski wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 15:07, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > On Sat, 2003-09-20 at 22:29, sturla wrote:
> > > David Palmer. wrote:
> > >
> > > If I should advice somebody new to Linux, I would say
> > > RedHat, that's where I started.  RedHat 9 has a great
> > > installer and contains anything a normal user will ever
> > > need, including OpenOffice.Org.
> >
> > Gak!  And send him into Dependency Hell?

What dependency hell are you talking about?  Dependency hell only
happens when you want to install third-party applications.  For
most people that would probably be only MPlayer or Xine (because
of the DVD and mp3 embargo), and the developers of these programs
have well-packaged RPMs (This is just from what I've read on
their lists).

> Exactly. RedHat/SuSE/Mandrake may be great and easy to install
> - but that's about it.

I don't know about SuSE, But RedHat and Mandrake are a great way
to introduce Joe Average to the Linux revolution.  For everybody
else, however, Debian.