Re: Debian Desktop for a Joe Average

On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 19:47, csj wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 19:14:38 +0200,
> Manrtin Jungowski wrote:

> > > Gak!  And send him into Dependency Hell?
>
> What dependency hell are you talking about?  Dependency hell only
> happens when you want to install third-party applications.  For
> most people that would probably be only MPlayer or Xine (because
> of the DVD and mp3 embargo), and the developers of these programs
> have well-packaged RPMs (This is just from what I've read on
> their lists).
>
> > Exactly. RedHat/SuSE/Mandrake may be great and easy to install
> > - but that's about it.

I tried to upgrade Mandrake 8.0 from KDE 2.2.1 to 2.2.2, using Mdk's
own RPMs (and SRPMs, for that matter).  It never would work, even
after I went as far as de-installing XFree.

> I don't know about SuSE, But RedHat and Mandrake are a great way
> to introduce Joe Average to the Linux revolution.  For everybody
> else, however, Debian.

Libranet.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

LUKE: Is Perl better than Python?
YODA: No... no... no. Quicker, easier, more seductive.
LUKE: But how will I know why Python is better than Perl?
YODA: You will know. When your code you try to read six months
from now.