Re: How do you know if it works in Linux?

At Mon, 29 Sep 2003 19:13:45 +0800,
David Palmer. wrote:

> Quote/This will only work for expensive or really dumb products like
> PS/2 keyboards.  A case in point: I'm trying to google for
> Linux-compatible USB modems (dialup).  The only recommendations I
> could find are for the ultra-expensive USR modems.  With one or
> two exceptions, I couldn't find any Linux-specific mention for
> the more affordable Asian (specifically Taiwanese) branded
> modems.  The one exception I can remember is for a DLink modem
> that had a different model number.  I don't have the slightest
> clue if the recommended model is simply a renumbered version of
> the models available at our local computer shops./Unquote.
>
> The best way to sort modems or anything else out for that
> matter is find out what chip it is operating on.  As far as
> modems go, anything with a Lucent chip or a Rockwell 56K chip
> works well. There are plenty of other options. If you want to
> go into the initial setup/config, the distribution will even
> tell you which ones it is compatible with.

Yes.  But how do you know what chipset it has?  Note that this
detail is often lost in the dark recesses of the printed manual
or worse available only in the CDROM installer (say, as a PDF
file).  Oftentimes, try before you buy isn't an option.  Note
also that the chipset also sometimes undergo "revisions" which
are incompatible enough as to make the device little better than
useless (That is, the device could be autodetected, but not
actually used).

> I have an external modem, a very good one that you would
> probably never have heard of, a Maestro Woomera. No-one would
> know if it was Linux compatible or not.  But it works off a 56K
> Rockwell chip, and since that is the only aspect of the entire
> modem that the O.S. interacts with it doesn't matter if the
> modem is the size of a Sherman tank and wearing a low slung
> pink dress. No Linux O.S. would even know or care. The only
> thing it gets cute and cuddly with is the chipset.

Is this a USB modem?  I know that practically all serial port
modems should work.