Re: Kernel Oops (was Re: Lots of scary segfaults)

At Mon, 29 Sep 2003 23:03:27 +0200,
Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:

> On Monday 29 September 2003 22:06, Juri Haberland wrote:
> > Though I don't know much about kernel opps messages I still
> > recommend to check you RAM, e.g. with memtest86, as it might
> > be just a bit flipped due to failed memory.
>
> Oh, yes, that's right, I forgot. Thanks. However, it requires taking it
> down, and that is a bit... uhm... I was hoping to avoid that more than
> necessary... :-)
>
> How about memtest...? This box is under some load, but usually not too
> bad, would it be a good idea to run it overnight? How would I go about
> to test a much as possible of my memory with it?

Try compiling the linux kernel X times.  In my experience at some
point bad memory will cause a kernel compile to fail (of course a
bad CPU would casue it to fail much faster, but CPU's are
probably the hardiest part of your system)