Re: Kernel Oops (was Re: Lots of scary segfaults)

Mark Ferlatte schrieb:
> Kjetil Kjernsmo said on Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 11:03:27PM +0200:
>> How about memtest...? This box is under some load, but usually not too
>> bad, would it be a good idea to run it overnight? How would I go about
>> to test a much as possible of my memory with it?
>
> It would mean taking your hardware offline, but I would try memtest.  Think of
> it this way: maybe the next bit flip is in the middle of your data.

If you have the the same type of memory in another box, run memtest86 at
least over night on this test-machine - better do it a whole day long.
If this memory is fine, swap it with the memory in your server.
Then check your server's memory in your test-machine.
If it fails you can be pretty sure that this was your problem.
If it is fine there is still the possebility that the BIOS of your
server is setup wrong and is pushing the memory to hard. Than you still
need to run memtest86 on your server (which would mean to take it out of
service while the test runs...).

Cheers,
Juri