Re: grub setup is driving me crazy

J Y wrote:
Hi I am very grateful for the community here and I appreciate the help I
received. I will be trying to get my internet connection going when I
reboot into debian. Which brings me to my issue of the moment :(
I really have tried so many things to be able to boot from the grub SuSE
installs (version .92) I think. Currently I boot from a floopy. I read
the grub editing procedure which is made to sound simple but I can not
get debian to boot froom grub. I have edited /boot/grub/menu.1st every
way I can think of/copy from other how-tos. At best I get a filesystem
not found. I had been getting a start up and then 'kernel panic'. The
specifics, sorry, its early in the morning and I have just thrown the
damn SuSE manual against the floor, Debian 3.0 is on hdb5 my 2nd hard
drive. I know that grub numbers drives starting from 0 so hdb5 = (hd1,4). This is my current (not working) /boot/grub/menu.1st debian listing:

title debian3.0
   kernel (hd1,4)/boot/vmlinuz root=dev/hdb5
   initrd (hd1,4)/initrd

you need:

root (hd1,4)
# note this root (above) is for grub's root
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb5
# debian's vmlinuz is normally in just '/'?
# note this root is for debian's root. Confusing as hell isn't it!
initrd /initrd.img

Bythe way, you can (from the command line) enter 'grub' then enter the above commands and use command completion (such as 'kernel /vm' press enter 2 times and grub will tell you all the files that begin with '/vm'. A good way to check out if you are entering things correctly or not.

I have tried putting /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-k7 for the kernel with video
parameters and not. I have tried /boot/loader, chainloader with the
device and +1. I did have debian install a loader to the partition just
not to the MBR. I wish I could have figured this out myself. The SuSE
manual makes setting up grub sound easy.

Hi,
Attached is a copy of my grub 'menu.lst'. Maybe it will help as a starting point.

On my debian machine there is a example in /usr/share/doc/grub/examples.

you need to:
mkdir /boot/grub
cp /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/* /boot/grub. Copy them all, why not.
cp /usr/share/doc/grub/examples/menu.lst /boot /grub/menu.lst & then edit it to you needs.

google on   IBM grub tutioral  . It is a very good tutioral on grub.

HTH
Charles
timeout 10
default 0
fallback 2
color light-green/brown blink-red/blue

# For booting GNU/Linux
title  Debian
root (hd0,4)
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda5 vga=791
initrd /initrd.img

# For booting GNU/Linux
title bf2.4
root (hd0,4)
kernel /vmlinuz.bf2.4 root=/dev/hda5 vga=791

# For booting GNU/Linux Rescue
title Rescue
root (hd1,0)
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hdc1 vga=791

# For booting GNU/Linux Rescue2
title Rescue2
root (hd1,0)
kernel /vmlinuz.old root=/dev/hdc1 vga=791

# For booting Mandrake
title Mandrake
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda9 vga=791
initrd /initrd.img

# For booting Windows NT or Windows95
title Windows NT / Windows 95 boot menu
rootnoverify (hd0,3)
makeactive
chainloader  +1

# For loading DOS if Windows NT is installed
# chainload /bootsect.dos

# For installing GRUB into the hard disk
# title Install GRUB into the hard disk
# root    (hd0,0)
# setup   (hd0)

# Change the colors.