grub setup is driving me crazy

Hi I am very grateful for the community here and I appreciate the help I
received. I will be trying to get my internet connection going when I
reboot into debian. Which brings me to my issue of the moment :(
I really have tried so many things to be able to boot from the grub SuSE
installs (version .92) I think. Currently I boot from a floopy. I read
the grub editing procedure which is made to sound simple but I can not
get debian to boot froom grub. I have edited /boot/grub/menu.1st every
way I can think of/copy from other how-tos. At best I get a filesystem
not found. I had been getting a start up and then 'kernel panic'. The
specifics, sorry, its early in the morning and I have just thrown the
damn SuSE manual against the floor, Debian 3.0 is on hdb5 my 2nd hard
drive. I know that grub numbers drives starting from 0 so hdb5 = (hd1,4).
This is my current (not working) /boot/grub/menu.1st debian listing:

title debian3.0
   kernel (hd1,4)/boot/vmlinuz root=dev/hdb5
   initrd (hd1,4)/initrd

I have tried putting /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-k7 for the kernel with video
parameters and not. I have tried /boot/loader, chainloader with the
device and +1. I did have debian install a loader to the partition just
not to the MBR. I wish I could have figured this out myself. The SuSE
manual makes setting up grub sound easy.

***Protect your PC from local E-Mail Application security holes***
***Maintain your Privacy - MS Passport Free***
***Anti SPAM "Whitelist" feature***

http://www.x-mail.net Web Based E-Mail, accessible anywhere

Voice Messages, Voice Calls (VoIP), Video Conferencing, Live Chat,
X-Mail Messenger, Personal Web Hosting, 128 bit SSL Secure,
Calendar, Bookmarks, Forwarding, Virtual Mail Map Aliasing

X-Mail Premium: 20MB Messages, 100MB Storage, SMTP, POP3, Ad Free
Anonymous Web Surfing http://www.snoopblocker.com
Search http://www.teradex.com