Re: fetchmail and mailfilter

On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 02:34, Ross Boylan wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 02:24:04PM -0400, Wayne Topa wrote:
> > Jan Ulrich Hasecke(janulrich.hasecke@t-online.de) is reported to have said:

> > > Mh, my fetchmail hangs when I set this option:
> > >
> > > preconnect '/usr/bin/mailfilter -M /home/juh/.mailfilterrc'
> >  man mailfilter
> >
> > default  Mailfilter tries to read $HOME/.mailfilterrc
>
> I also don't seem to be getting any response from mailfilter.
>
> Who does the preconnect command run as?
>
> My first assumption is that it runs as fetchmail, in which case $HOME
> is /var/run/fetchmail on my default Debian setup, if I read my passwd
> file right.  Trying to read and write to my personal account would
> likely only cause trouble.
>
> My second thought was that it runs as the local user you have
> indicated in your fetchmail config file.  .fetchmailrc man page says
> nothing explicit, but since all the examples just say mailfilter, I
> figured maybe this would work.
>
> Anyway, I have .mailfilterrc in my home directory, the one of the user
> indicated in fetchmailrc.  I did /etc/init.d/fetchmail restart, but I
> see no sign of mailfilter; there is no mention of it in any log I've
> checked, and no sign of the output mailfilterlog file either.
>
> I've done two things that might matter:
>
> fetchmailrc says
>         preconnect fetchmail
> not
> 	preconnect "fetchmail"
> as in most examples.
>
> And .mailfilterrc uses ~/ notation
> LOGFILE=~/Mail/mailfilterlog
>
> But shouldn't I at least get an error message?

".mailfilterrc" has to be in the ~ of the user that runs fetchmail.

Thus, I don't run fetchmail as a daemon; I run it from cron, and
comment out the DAEMON directive in *my* ~/.fetchmailrc.  Thus, I
can put .mailfilterrc in my ~.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"Fair is where you take your cows to be judged."
Unknown