Re: Getting rid of worms and viruses

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Ross Boylan wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 01:14:04AM -0400, kmark@pipeline.com wrote:

<snip>

> To reduce your downloads, it looks as if you can either use
> fetchmail's size limit (limit keyword, but it doesn't delete the
> message unless you use the somewhat dangerous flush option) or
> mailfilter for a somewhat more refined tool (use fetchmail's
> preconnect option to invoke it automatically).  I'm looking into
> installing mailfilter now.
I tried the preconnect but with some sort of errors??

> Oh, the other thing I notice is that fetchmail responds to various
> spam codes if you enable "antispam" option, and so could delete the
> message as soon as your MTA determines it's spam.  I think exim4, at
> least, has some options for making decisions before accepting the
> whole message.
>
> I'm a little worried that whatever test I put in is going to zap
> something real, and most likely it will also still let a lot of stuff
> through (e.g., bounce messages for which the attachment has been
> stripped).
>
> I'm ready to switch ISP's too, but I don't know who's better.  I did
> finally have an intelligent conversation with someone at earthlink
> today.  She said their numbers showed Swen had much lower penetration
> than Sobig (like 0.2% of all earthlink's mails), and they had made a
> policy decision not to filter it out.
I got an email. It said that they did not want to stop all attachments as
that would stop some legitimate ones. This is a stupid answer. Then they
said that they wanted to protect privacy by not scanning attachments. I
said if you can scan for spam, there is not difference in scanning for
viruses since they both scan the mail. They said 'sorry for the minor
inconvience'. I said having my email box stuffed and me missing emails is
not a minor inconvience. And their spam 'whitelist' is useless.
So, I said I will change to an ISP that does a better job and allows
encrypted email access.
-Kevin

She wasn't familiar with all