Re: install

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 06:00:35AM -0500, Kent West wrote:

> >(WW) Cannot open APM
> >(EE) VESO(0):No matching modes
> >(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable
> >configuration.
> >
> >I noticed in installing RedHat, which works, that
> >instead of using my actual SavagePro card, it chose
> >VESA. I did the same with Debian, but it still did not
> >get me into graphics.
> >

> Educational, isn't it?  :-)
>
> Try renaming the "/etc/X11/XF86Config" file (or you could delete it,
> since it doesn't work anyway), and then copy over the XF86Config file
> from Redhat to Debian. That might work.
>
> Or you could run "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" and/or
> "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-common" and try various things, such as
> choosing a lower resolution or color depth or different drivers.

Try _not_ using a framebuffer device. I got the same problem the first
time I installed Debian :-) It took me a day to figure that out...
I'm using NVidia GeForce2 MX-400, without the enhanced drivers at that
time...

dpkg-reconfigure will prompt you if you want to use the kernel
framebuffer device interface, to which you can say _no_. HTH

Cheers,

Zakame
--

//---- ZAK BALON ELEP ----//

Registered Linux User #327585

Web:		http://zakame.spunge.org
GnuPG pubKey:	http://zakame.spunge.org/zakame.gpg
(ASCII-armor):	http://zakame.spunge.org/zakame.asc

Key fingerprint = 1486 7957 454D E529 E4F1  F75E 5787 B1FD FA53 851