Re: install

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 06:00:35 -0500,
Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote in message
<[🔎] 3F7027D3.3050409@acu.edu>:

> Sidney Brooks wrote:
>
> >Here is an update. I wiped out the drive using a
> >program from the manufacturer of my computer available
> >at www.microtelinc.com. I then was able to use my
> >Windows XP disk, which previously simple led to a
> >frozen screen, to reinstall Windows. I then
> >partitioned the disk and installed RedHat, with no
> >trouble, and Debian. The failure to go into graphics
> >in Debian persists.
> >
> >There is some improvement. When I boot into Debian,
> >there are no freezes, I get into the text mode. On
> >using the command "startx", I could not get into
> >graphics. Here are the errors from
> >/var/log/Xfree86.0.log:
> >
> >(WW) Cannot open APM
> >(EE) VESO(0):No matching modes
> >(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable
> >configuration.

..is there a way to specify or override graphics card speeds?
My old ATI can do 230MHz but X stops it at conservative 162MHz,
so I get 1600x1200x24bpp only at 60Hz.

> >I noticed in installing RedHat, which works, that
> >instead of using my actual SavagePro card, it chose
> >VESA. I did the same with Debian, but it still did not
> >get me into graphics.
> >

> Educational, isn't it?  :-)
>
> Try renaming the "/etc/X11/XF86Config" file (or you could delete it,
> since it doesn't work anyway), and then copy over the XF86Config file
> from Redhat to Debian. That might work.

..and do remember to swap your mouse name in there for /dev/gpmdata,
this allows several cool tricks, such as not having to restart X
everytime you reseat the rodent plug.  ;-)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: