Re: install

Sidney Brooks wrote:

Here is an update. I wiped out the drive using a
program from the manufacturer of my computer available
at www.microtelinc.com. I then was able to use my
Windows XP disk, which previously simple led to a
frozen screen, to reinstall Windows. I then
partitioned the disk and installed RedHat, with no
trouble, and Debian. The failure to go into graphics
in Debian persists.

There is some improvement. When I boot into Debian,
there are no freezes, I get into the text mode. On
using the command "startx", I could not get into
graphics. Here are the errors from
/var/log/Xfree86.0.log:

(WW) Cannot open APM
(EE) VESO(0):No matching modes
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable
configuration.

I noticed in installing RedHat, which works, that
instead of using my actual SavagePro card, it chose
VESA. I did the same with Debian, but it still did not
get me into graphics.

Educational, isn't it?  :-)

Try renaming the "/etc/X11/XF86Config" file (or you could delete it, since it doesn't work anyway), and then copy over the XF86Config file from Redhat to Debian. That might work.

Or you could run "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" and/or "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-common" and try various things, such as choosing a lower resolution or color depth or different drivers.

I find Debian Stable to be a bit antiquated for my tastes for a desktop workstation. Sid or Testing might have newer X parts that will work better with your video card. If you have a fast network connection (or are willing to wait on a slow one), you can edit "/etc/apt/sources.list" to pull from one of these newer repositories and upgrade your Debian system. For example:
# Stable
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ stable main non-free contrib
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free

# UnStable
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free

Then do "apt-get update" followed by "apt-get dist-upgrade". Now you'll have newer X and Mozilla and KDE and and and etc.

I know it's frustrating. But once Debian's installed, it's easy to maintain.

--
Kent