Re: grub/lilo question

On Wednesday 17 September 2003 1:46 pm, Victory wrote:
> Some one please let me know the advantage/disadvantage
> about grub/lilo ext2/ext3.
>
> Regards,
> Victor.

1. GRUB contains its own little command shell, for passing in or editing
commands at boot time. It can read from a configuration file. It supports
many filesystems, currently BSD FFS, DOS FAT16 and FAT32, Minix fs, Linux
ext2fs, ReiserFS, and VSTa fs; and blocklists for files that do not appear in
filesystems, such as chainloaders.

GRUB reads filesystems and kernel executables, rather than inflexibly
restricting the user to disk geometry.  Install and remove operating systems
as needed. Boot bare kernels, passing in modules and parameters from the
command line. GRUB will even download OS images over the network.

GRUB does not need a /boot partition, just let it own the MBR.

2. ext3 is the journaled version of ext2. It's really just an extension to
ext2. You can convert back and forth, I don't know why you would want to, but
you can. With other journaling filesystems, such as ReiserFS or JFS, there is
no compatibility with other filesystems, so once you choose it, it's not easy
to make a change. There is no reason I can think of to not use a journaling
filesystem, any of the major Linux ones are good.

--
Carla Schroder