Re: command line workspace switch

On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 02:30, David Z Maze wrote:
> Neo <netman1@home.nl> writes:
>
> > anybody know of a way to switch workspaces in gnome/ any
> > windowmanager? (on Debian of course ;-) )
> >
> > Background: I want a central monitoring station in a 24x7 monitoring
> > environment to cycle automatically through each workspace which each
> > contains a monitoring app.
>
> If I was going to do this sort of thing, I'd abandon "the normal GNOME
> stuff", and probably even forego a window manager.  Then, I'd look
> into using nawm to show and hide (in X terminology, "map" and "unmap")
> each window in turn.  Something like this (untested):

Neat solution!

My argumentation to use ws's is that this central monitoring station
will be identical to the monitoring people's  own monitoring
stations (except for the monitor, which will be a videowall) and
that they will have the ability to manipulate the central screen
in the same way as their own when a major event happens so that they
can all share and work from the same centrally presented info.

Sincerely,

Jan.