Re: JAVA

setty wrote:

get a error dealing with (application/x-java-vm) that can only be viewed with the appropriate plugin..?? i have the java 1.4.2 run time installed abd i am running Sid

Is this Java 1.4.2 runtime environment from Sun, something related to the ibm-jdk1.1-installer package you talk about below?

The error message sounds like something a web browser would report. I have the Java 1.4.2 SDK installed in /usr/local, and have copied j2sdk1.4.2_01/jre/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. Now they work (but for how long now that Eolas won their lawsuit?)

i get a error in apt-get upgrade saying (1 not fully installed it is)
this is what i get but the site is bad and i caint locate the file anywhere , could some one point me in a good direction to find the file or where i can find info to fix my problem

I'm not clear on how "apt-get upgrade" is related to the Java issue. Did "apt-get install ibm-jdk1.1-installer" fail, and if so with what error. While your learning, try using dselect or aptitude instead of apt-get. (Although if they aren't installed, go ahead and install them using apt-get :) )

Setting up ibm-jdk1.1-installer (1.1.8-5) ...
This package is an installer package, it does not actually
contain the IBM JDK. You will need to go download the IBM
JDK by hand. Please visit

       http://www.ibm.com/java/jdk/118/linux/

now and download. The file should be owned by root,
be named ibm-jdk-l118-linux-x86.tgz and be copied to /tmp.
thank  you

While you could follow these directions to get jdk 1.1 (or whatever version) installed, I don't think that it will fix your original error message.

I haven't installed the ibm-jdk1.1-installer package and don't see a reason for installing it myself so I'll not be able to help walk you through that problem. I installed NetBeans and it seems to meet my meager Java development needs.

Jacob