Re: CUPS insisting on completing print job

On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 12:00:23PM -0700, Deryk Barker wrote:
> I'm running woody with CUPs controlling an Epson C82.
>
> Problem: while configuring and testing a PDF converter in Open Office
> I accidentally sent a raw pdf file to the printer. 200+KB...
>
> And here is where the problem starts: I cannot persuade (presumably)
> CUPS to stop printing the damn thing. I've lprm'ed the request from
> the queue, I've turned off the printer, I've disconnected the power
> cable from the printer - for 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 24 HOURS!! (The
> manual says 10 seconds will clear the print buffer).
>
> I've rebooted, I've removed every damned file in the /var/spool/cups
> directory and still when I put paper in the printer it continues with
> the attempt to print raw PDF.
>
> Now, I know this is not the printer's fault because after the lest
> power disconnect I also disconnected the cable from the computer to
> the printer, then powered it up. No problem. However, reattach the
> printer cable and bingo - out comes the raw PDF again.
>
> This is a real problem, makes the printer unusable until I have
> finished printing all however many pages (at an average of 4-5 lines
> printed per page, 200+K is going to consume around 600 pages...)
>
> So, does anyone know how to get CUPS to *stop* retrying the printout.
>
> BTW the CUPS perinter page claims that the printer (all queues) is
> "idle, accepting jobs".
>
> Well, something isn't idle. Any help at all will be greatly
> appreciated.

Oh, I hate this "feature" too...

ps ax should show you a bunch of processes still running which are
handling the outputting of that print job. kill -9 all those, check to
make sure they're all gone, clear the printer's buffer and you should
be OK.

(Though it's odd that it survived a reboot... not that I've ever tried
that method of stopping it. Perhaps cupsd saves some state when you
shut it down and resumes when you restart it, in order to avoid
possibly losing print jobs???)

Why you can't do this from within CUPS I don't know...

(BTW my printers are "idle, accepting jobs" even when switched off
and/or physically disconnected...)

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons