..mailing list style booos, was: Can't mount cdrom

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 02:06:23 +0100,
"Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
<[🔎] 20030915010623.GT18694@guildenstern.dyndns.org>:

> on Sun, Sep 14, 2003 at 10:17:49AM +0100, Chris Wilcox
> (not_rich_yet@hotmail.com) wrote:
> > From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
> > To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> > Subject: Re: Can't mount cdrom
> > Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 09:53:49 +0100

> > > Please use postfix quoting format:  your reply goes below the
> > > material cited.

..aka conversational quotes, produces "a way to _talk_ about it".

> > I don't think I'm the only one who doesn't always follow this
> > methodology but I will attempt to make an effort to use it in the
> > future.  I'm a member of a few mailing lists and some use the
> > opposite ie top-posting.  It is easy to get confused, either that or
> > I'm easily confused!

..is _why_ we advice first lurk on each list, then set up your mailer
appropriately for each list, _before_ your first post.

> There are many arguments for why this format is appropriate.  The most
> succinct is a four line sig:
>

> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> A: Top-posting.
>
> Top-quoting leads to a number of sins, including insufficient
> trimming, excessive quoting, and misattribution...

...and law suit threats: I have fond memories of an "IT Professional
with Over 10 years Experience in IT and 10 in the Press" who went,
and _stayed_ ballistic, over being dismissed as a Dimwit Lightweight
by yours truly, after "I" suggested he was.  ;-)

..he slid off the hook after I, uhm, helped him prove the truth, ;-)
and after I suggested better and more expensive legal counsel than
he wanted to use on me, I mean, why not do it with _authority_.  ;-)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: