Re: Can't mount cdrom

on Sun, Sep 14, 2003 at 10:17:49AM +0100, Chris Wilcox (not_rich_yet@hotmail.com) wrote:
> >From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
> >To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> >Subject: Re: Can't mount cdrom
> >Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 09:53:49 +0100
> >
> >Please use postfix quoting format:  your reply goes below the material
> >cited.
>
> I don't think I'm the only one who doesn't always follow this methodology
> but I will attempt to make an effort to use it in the future.  I'm a member
> of a few mailing lists and some use the opposite ie top-posting.  It is
> easy to get confused, either that or I'm easily confused!

There are many arguments for why this format is appropriate.  The most
succinct is a four line sig:

    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.

Top-quoting leads to a number of sins, including insufficient trimming,
excessive quoting, and misattribution...

There is a lengthy literature on this subject, you're encouraged to
review it.

Microsoft products, particularly MS Outlook, and apparently Hotmail,
violate several established norms of email quoting and netiquette.

> Trim your quotes appropriately and ensure your attributions are
> >accurate.

Ironically, you've violated that request in quoting it.

The attributions are indicated by the prefix markers.  The above two
lines make it appear that you said "Trim your quotes..." and I said
"accurate", when in fact the entire two line section should be
attributed to me.

> Aplogies, I misread the post.  The error message was almost the same as the
> one I received on my system.

> On a side note, I would personally find it a tad nicer if your replies
> could use a more polite tone!  It could just be me, but I find your
> abrupt responses annoying and often rude.  There are nicer sounding
> ways to point out people mistakes as we're obviously not all as aware
> of netiquette (spelling?) as yourself.  Everyone can make mistakes,
> myself included!

When I encounter a number of sloppy practices in a single post, I tend
to give short shrift in response.  You're demonstrating your own
dilligence, work habits, and honesty when you post.  Providing
misleading, inacurate, or inappropriate information isn't helpful (if
you're not sure, say so, that's admissible).  Your inacuracies are your
responsibility.  Don't blame someone else for pointing them out.

For myself:  I appreciate when people indicate an error I've made, it's
an opportunity for improvement.

I try to be fair, frank, and brief in my responses.  If you feel
anything I've said is specifically rude, please indicate what.  Much of
my prior post was standard responses from a "rant-o-matic" I use to
address frequently encountered issues.

Peace.

    "Life," said Marvin, "don't talk to me about life."
    -- HHGTG