Re: bug tracking

On Sat, Sep 13, 2003 at 08:29:42AM +0800, csj wrote:
> At Fri, 12 Sep 2003 18:18:39 +0100,
> Colin Watson wrote:
> > That's entirely up to the maintainer of the package and/or any
> > other random people who happen to look at it. Forget policy
> > here, it's a matter of people having time and interest to do
> > the work. If you give more details about the bug in question
> > then perhaps somebody could be encouraged to look at it. (Bug
> > #162308?)
>
> Is it that much work to, as Osamu Aoki said, change the priority
> or downgrade the bug?  Then I'd know how I stand WRT package.  I
> know its limits, especially when the author or maintainer rants
> "Yyyou moron, that's a feature not a bug!"  I might still
> continuing recommending the package, but I'd qualify the
> recommendation with "You need to do this [trivial hack] before
> you get it to work".

If we're talking about #162308, then the maintainer *did* downgrade the
severity ...

(http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=162308&msg=4)

Actually, it can often be rather a lot of work in the aggregate on
packages with lots of bugs, although that may not be the case in this
particular instance. I've been co-maintaining openssh for nearly a year
now, looking at tens of bugs a day some weekends, and it's still got 173
unique open bugs. While responding to any individual bug doesn't take
very long, responding to hundreds can take a significant slice of one's
life, especially if they take some investigation.

Cheers,