bug tracking

I'm just curious about Debian's "bug" policy.

I know that some bugs aren't fixable (because either they're too
expensive to fix or upstream thinks they're a "feature").  But
how are bug reports resolved in the Debian bug system?  I just
checked my favorite bug, and it's still under the heading
"outstanding" rather than "resolved" and the program in question
has had, IRC, two major releases.

I'm not asking that the bug be "solved".  I just want it
"resolved".  Doesn't the bug report at least merit a "No, I won't
fix it, unless somebody submits the code"?