apt-get, debian-user-digest, xfree86

Hello,

  I have a couple of questions:
  (1) Anyone know what algorithm apt-get uses to determine the speed
at which files are downloaded? I tried apt-get on a package earlier,
then canceled it, and then tried apt-get again, and for two or three
brief seconds, it reported at downloading at about twice the normal
download speed (I'm guessing maybe in the calculations it just does a
(delta downloaded) / (delta time), and somehow, part of the data
downloaded in the first download got calculated into the speed for
the second download?)

  (2) I want to be able to post to debian-user, but read in digest
mode ... I started out subscribing to debian-user-digest, but then
realized I didn't know how to post, so I unsubscribed from
debian-user-digest, and subscribed to debian-user ... (but now, I'm
probably no going to be reading in digest mode) -- how can I
subscribe in such a way so as to be able to post to debian-user
normally, yet read in digest mode?

  (3) I would like to install XFree86 4.3.0; if I used
apt-get/apt-cache correctly, it seems debian "unstable" is still
4.2.x ... if so, what is the easiest way to install 4.3.0? I would
still like to run the debian stable system (except use 4.3.0 instead
of the 4.1.x). Also, if I install XFree 86 4.3.0 from a non *.deb,
will I run into problems with using apt-get/apt-cache?

Thanks,
--TongKe Xue