Re: glx and xfree86 not working: why?

On 10 Sep 2003, Moritz Moeller-Herrmann wrote:
> csj wrote:
>
> > From what I've read in the MPlayer and Xine mailing lists, I
> > think the Matrox is an excellent choice for watching videos
> > (e.g. VCDs, DVDs).
>
> > It's the 3D that's not well supported or
> > nonexistent.
>
> Not true. The card simply does not HAVE got 3D capabilities. Linux support
> is good enough to play quake3 though. I have a MAtrox G450, but the G550 is
> supported by the same driver. man mga(4x) for details.

I bought this card because I didn't need 3D but wanted good 2D.

Possibly the above-mentioned lack of 3D is why glx doesn't work, though
the docs on the Matrox site imply it should. I tried it again with the
latest drivers from Matrox but it made no difference, and in addition
the mga driver screwed up my mouse pointer, so I've reverted to the
standard X driver which seems to work perfectly well.

AC

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  for book reviews, electronic