Re: glx and xfree86 not working: why?

On 09 Sep 2003, csj wrote:
> At Mon, 8 Sep 2003 16:55:39 +0100,
> Anthony Campbell wrote:
> >
> > I am using xserver-xfree86 4.2.1-6 with a Matrox G550 card.
>
> That might be the problem.  Not too well supported.  But don't
> trust me on this.  I don't own that card.
>
> > Eveything works provided I don't enable the glx module in
> > /etc/X11/XF86-Config-4.
> >
> > Two questions:
> >
> >     1. What exactly does this module do?
>
> That allows you to play Chromium and GLTron at decent frame
> rates.
>
> >     2. If it is important, is there any way to enable it?
>
> You can safely disable it.  I don't think it's important for
> normal business needs.  To enable it, you insert into your
> /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (only one dash!) something like:
>
> 	Load	"glx"
>
> Again, RTFM will get you further.  By itself enabling glx won't
> do anything remarkable.  You also need to enable the appropriate
> kernel modules to get DRI (that's jargon for allowing your X
> application direct access to the graphics hardware).  You might
> consider consulting:
>
> http://dri.sourceforge.net/
>
> Again I believe the Matrox G550 card isn't well supported by the
> opensource drivers:
>
> http://dri.sourceforge.net/dri_status.phtml
>
> You might have better luck googling for the official Matrox
> binary-only drivers.

Thanks for this helpful reply. I thought Matrox was supposed to be well
supported (partly the reason I bought it); anyway, I'm using the drivers
supplied by Matrox in place of the native X ones. As I don't play games
I don't suppose I need to bother too much about glx but I'll look into
it further out of curiosity.

AC

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  for book reviews, electronic