Re: glx and xfree86 not working: why?

At Mon, 8 Sep 2003 16:55:39 +0100,
Anthony Campbell wrote:

> I am using xserver-xfree86 4.2.1-6 with a Matrox G550 card.

That might be the problem.  Not too well supported.  But don't
trust me on this.  I don't own that card.

> Eveything works provided I don't enable the glx module in
> /etc/X11/XF86-Config-4.
>
> Two questions:
>
>     1. What exactly does this module do?

That allows you to play Chromium and GLTron at decent frame
rates.

>     2. If it is important, is there any way to enable it?

You can safely disable it.  I don't think it's important for
normal business needs.  To enable it, you insert into your
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (only one dash!) something like:

	Load	"glx"

Again, RTFM will get you further.  By itself enabling glx won't
do anything remarkable.  You also need to enable the appropriate
kernel modules to get DRI (that's jargon for allowing your X
application direct access to the graphics hardware).  You might
consider consulting:

http://dri.sourceforge.net/

Again I believe the Matrox G550 card isn't well supported by the
opensource drivers:

http://dri.sourceforge.net/dri_status.phtml

You might have better luck googling for the official Matrox
binary-only drivers.

[...]