Disk I/O stalling whole system ..

Mariano Kamp <mkamp@gmx.de> said on Mon, 8 Sep 2003 22:42:28 +0200:
> Hi,
>
>  when copying from one ide disk to another ide disk on the the same controller
> the whole systems stalls. I am running 2.4.19 on unstable.

Wow. I have the same situation, (can't give you the specs, other than
to say the primary is a 16GB drive of 1999 era, and the secondary is a
40GB drive of late 2001 era.

I get a good 20MB/sec or more to each drive, by themselves, and
copying between drives is unexpecedly quick (quicker than copying from
the one drive to itself) on the 2.4 series kernels. No kernel stalls
or anything to make the system less interactive.

I booted up 2.6-t4, but haven't stress tested it yet.

So I'm afraid I can't help you.

"You can't trust any bugger further than you can
throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it,
so let's have a drink." -- Terry Pratchett