Success: Getting a wireless card to work play with debian

Nick, yep that did it.

Summary to follow.
Quoting Nick Hastings <hastings@bmail.kek.jp>:

> * jcz@northredoubt.com <jcz@northredoubt.com> [030911 13:14]:
> > Good questions. I'm starting easy: no WEP. The router is a linksys
> > WRTG54G with default settings. I thought Managed was eqivalent to
> > Infrastructure mode. Doing a little more reading now. I also figured
> > this problem stems from my lack of debian knowledge since I'm coming
> > from Redhat. I've tried ifconfig eth2 down -> ifconfig eth2 up to
> > reset the NIC, but it doesn't help. How do I get the system to
> > restart the network?
>
> /etc/init.d/network restart
>
> Will restart all interfaces. If you just want to restart one, eg eth2
>
> /sbin/ifdown eth2
> /sbin/ifup eth2
>
> > Also, dumbass linux question: insmode 8211.o loads the kernel module
> > for the driver. but it drops on reboot. How do I get it to stay in
> > there?
>
> echo "8211" >> /etc/modules
>
> BTW, when loading modules by hand you should use modprobe instead of
> insmod (eg. /sbin/modprobe 8211).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Nick.
>

> --
> Debian testing/unstable
> Linux twofish 2.6.0-test3-looxt93c3 i686 GNU/Linux

Ok, so I'm trying to get an SMC2602W 802.11b PCI card to work on my debian 3.0
install using the hard drive of version of knoppix on desktop machine. Any help
would be greatly appreciated. The windows box particpates on the network just
fine, so I know that's not an issue.

Others have mentioned that this does not require PCMCIA support, just the
various wireless tools and the right driver. I have confirmed that this card
uses the ADM8211 chipset which is supported by drivers downloaded from
http://www.admtek.com.tw/. I've installed various wireless tools like iwconfig
and they communicate with the card just fine. I THINK the card even tries to
tell me that it's getting a good signal (iwconfig link quality is 95).

How do I tell debian to tell the card to grab an IP address from the gateway
(192.168.1.1) and start routing traffic? ifconfig shows lo and the hardware at
eth2
and /etc/network/options has ip_forward=no,

/etc/network/interfaces contains
auto lo eth2
iface eth2 inet dhcp
   wireless_essid linksys