Re: Getting a wireless card to work play with debian

* jcz@northredoubt.com <jcz@northredoubt.com> [030911 13:14]:
> Good questions. I'm starting easy: no WEP. The router is a linksys
> WRTG54G with default settings. I thought Managed was eqivalent to
> Infrastructure mode. Doing a little more reading now. I also figured
> this problem stems from my lack of debian knowledge since I'm coming
> from Redhat. I've tried ifconfig eth2 down -> ifconfig eth2 up to
> reset the NIC, but it doesn't help. How do I get the system to
> restart the network?

/etc/init.d/network restart

Will restart all interfaces. If you just want to restart one, eg eth2

/sbin/ifdown eth2
/sbin/ifup eth2

> Also, dumbass linux question: insmode 8211.o loads the kernel module
> for the driver. but it drops on reboot. How do I get it to stay in
> there?

echo "8211" >> /etc/modules

BTW, when loading modules by hand you should use modprobe instead of
insmod (eg. /sbin/modprobe 8211).

Cheers,

Nick.

--
Debian testing/unstable
Linux twofish 2.6.0-test3-looxt93c3 i686 GNU/Linux