Re: lpd doesn't work

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003, Jason Chambers wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 09:26:35PM -0300, Frank Hrebabetzky wrote:
> > On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, Christoph Simon wrote:
> >
> > > lpd certainly does work. I don't know printtool though. You can `prove
> > > that, tracing it down. E.g., if you replace if=XX by a script coping
> > > the file to /tmp, you can see that any script at that spot actually is
> > > called, etc.
> >
> A script which does "cat > /tmp/is-lpd-working" should prove the filter
> is being called.
>
> Don't forget to get lpd to re-read /etc/printcap when you change
> it though.

Did that. My printcap is now:

##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL uniprint 720x1440 a4 {} EpsonStylusColor740 Default {}
lp|epson:\
	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
	:mx#0:\
	:sh:\
	:lp=/dev/lp0:\
#	:if=/usr/lib/printfilters/master-filter:\
	:if=/root/SysAdmin/printtest:\
	:PAPERSIZE=a4:\
	:DESIRED_TO=ps:\
	:PRINTER_TYPE=LOCAL:\
	:ASCII_TO_PS=YES:\
	:GSDEVICE=uniprint:\
	:RESOLUTION=720x1440:\
	:PS_SEND_EOF=NO:\
	:NUP=1:\
	:RTLFTMAR=18:\
	:TOPBOTMAR=18:\
	:TEXT_SEND_EOF=NO:

and /root/SysAdmin/printtest is

cat > /tmp/is-lpd-working

I rebooted linux to be shure that the alterated printcap is called, but
the only new file in /tmp has the name masteUN4lyJ and the content:

Could not find requested printer:
Could not find requested printer:
Could not find requested printer:
Could not find requested printer:
No way to print this type of input file:              ASCII text

Another thing I tried was deinstalling of packages lpr-ppd, apsfilter,
printtool, ... and installation of lprng, magicfilter, lprngtool, ... .
Result: lprngtool crashed when I selected my printer (Epson Stylus Color
740), it didn't crash with others. Deinstalled that, installed lpr-ppd
again, result: see above.

Frank Hrebabetzky	Tel.:     +55 / 48 / 235 1106
Florianopolis			  +55 / 48 / 9998 7686
Brazil			email:	  frankh@terra.com.br