woody newbie help

Hello
I am a newbie to Linux, but not to the *NIX world. I allways tried Debian
distros. But I had no time to go too far.
Now I installed woody ( bf2.4 ). All went ok exception of

1) My Debian box has a generic two button serial mouse. Using some utility
( don´t remember which one ), the mouse is correctly seen as attached to
/dev/ttyS0. Main parameters as shown by stty seems correct, by example baud
rate is 1200. /dev/mouse is a symlink to /dev/ttyS0.
When I configure XFree86, xf86config correctly guess what the mouse device
is.
But when X and KDE are up, I have no mouse response. Of course, I need to go
to console mode.
Is there a console mouse test and trouble-shooting utility ?
Am I doing something wrong ? Am I missing something ?

2) at installation, I don´t remembered what the NIC card was, so I skipped
over all net installation, exception, of course, the local loopback.
Later, using lspci, I discovered what my Ethernet card is, and using modconf
I could configure/start the correct driver.
To test it, I configured manually the eth0 interface, and it works ok. I can
ping my LAN machines, and also did some ftp transfers.
But I don´t know how to:
- add the eth0 ifconfig to the boot or init scripts
- where and how ( route ? ) to set the gateway ( I am sharing my Net conn
using a NAT server )
- where to put my ISP DNS address

Could someone help ?
Thanks in advance.