Re: lpd doesn't work

On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 09:26:35PM -0300, Frank Hrebabetzky wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, Christoph Simon wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 11:32:31 -0300 (BRT)
> > Frank Hrebabetzky <frankh@terra.com.br> wrote:
> >
> > > Am I missing something fundamental, or lpd simply doesn't work?
> >
> > lpd certainly does work. I don't know printtool though. You can `prove
> > that, tracing it down. E.g., if you replace if=XX by a script coping
> > the file to /tmp, you can see that any script at that spot actually is
> > called, etc.
>
> Well I am not very familiar with those things. I could write down a script
> line which copies a file somewhere, but I don't know _what_ to copy. Could
> you give me a hint?

The filter receives the data to filter on stdin.  It also get passed a
lot of command line args, for things like user, job name, print queue
etc which should be listed in the docs.

A script which does "cat > /tmp/is-lpd-working" should prove the filter
is being called.

Don't forget to get lpd to re-read /etc/printcap when you change
it though.

You can also test the original filter that you are having problems with
by piping your test data to it from a command line, but you will need to
make sure you give it the correct arguments and environment variables
that it is expecting.

--
 .''`.  Jason Chambers <chambersj@thingy.org.uk>
: :'  : Registered linux user #271693