Re: woody newbie help

 --- mnicolet <mnicolet@satlink.com> escribió:
> Hello
> I am a newbie to Linux, but not to the *NIX world. I allways tried Debian
> distros. But I had no time to go too far.
> Now I installed woody ( bf2.4 ). All went ok exception of

Welcome back.

> 1) My Debian box has a generic two button serial mouse. Using some utility
> ( don´t remember which one ), the mouse is correctly seen as attached to
> /dev/ttyS0. Main parameters as shown by stty seems correct, by example baud
> rate is 1200. /dev/mouse is a symlink to /dev/ttyS0.
> When I configure XFree86, xf86config correctly guess what the mouse device
> is.
> But when X and KDE are up, I have no mouse response. Of course, I need to go
> to console mode.
> Is there a console mouse test and trouble-shooting utility ?
> Am I doing something wrong ? Am I missing something ?

Can't help you there :-(

> 2) at installation, I don´t remembered what the NIC card was, so I skipped
> over all net installation, exception, of course, the local loopback.
> Later, using lspci, I discovered what my Ethernet card is, and using modconf
> I could configure/start the correct driver.
> To test it, I configured manually the eth0 interface, and it works ok. I can
> ping my LAN machines, and also did some ftp transfers.
> But I don´t know how to:
> - add the eth0 ifconfig to the boot or init scripts

Add something like this to /etc/network/interfaces for DHCP:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

OR for static:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.0.x
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        broadcast 192.168.0.255

The key is the "auto" keyword which tells it to come up on boot.

> - where and how ( route ? ) to set the gateway ( I am sharing my Net conn
> using a NAT server )

It should just work as part of the device config up there, but if it doesn't,
as root:

# route add default gw 192.168.0.1 (or whatever your gateway is)

> - where to put my ISP DNS address

edit /etc/resolv.conf and add:

nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx