Re: woody newbie help

mnicolet wrote:

Hello
I am a newbie to Linux, but not to the *NIX world. I allways tried Debian
distros. But I had no time to go too far.
Now I installed woody ( bf2.4 ). All went ok exception of

1) My Debian box has a generic two button serial mouse. Using some utility
( don´t remember which one ), the mouse is correctly seen as attached to
/dev/ttyS0. Main parameters as shown by stty seems correct, by example baud
rate is 1200. /dev/mouse is a symlink to /dev/ttyS0.
When I configure XFree86, xf86config correctly guess what the mouse device
is.
But when X and KDE are up, I have no mouse response. Of course, I need to go
to console mode.
Is there a console mouse test and trouble-shooting utility ?
Am I doing something wrong ? Am I missing something ?
It sounds like you have gpm running, which is the mouse driver for the console. You can configure it by running "gpmconfig", which modifies the '/etc/gpm.conf' file.

X doesn't use the data from the console driver unless you specifically tell it to. Right now, you're telling gpm to grab the mouse data from '/dev/ttyS0', and you're telling X to grab the mouse data from '/dev/ttyS0'. Thus they're conflicting. So what you need to do is tell gpm to share the mouse data with X, and tell X to read the shared data from gpm. The way to do this is to reconfigure gpm (run "gpmconfig') and tell it to use the repeat type of 'raw'. This will allow gpm to read the mouse data, and then repeat it to a special "port" named 'gpmdata' exactly the same as its read. Then reconfigure X ("dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86") and specify that the mouse is not on '/dev/ttyS0', but rather on '/dev/gpmdata'. That should get your mouse working in X and the console.

2) at installation, I don´t remembered what the NIC card was, so I skipped
over all net installation, exception, of course, the local loopback.
Later, using lspci, I discovered what my Ethernet card is, and using modconf
I could configure/start the correct driver.
To test it, I configured manually the eth0 interface, and it works ok. I can
ping my LAN machines, and also did some ftp transfers.
But I don´t know how to:
- add the eth0 ifconfig to the boot or init scripts
- where and how ( route ? ) to set the gateway ( I am sharing my Net conn
using a NAT server )
- where to put my ISP DNS address
Since you used "modconf" to add the driver, it should now be listed in '/etc/modules'. This will cause the driver to load automatically at boot-up.

Now, edit "/etc/network/interfaces". Add a stanza in here for your NIC, either static or dhcp. Assuming it's static, here's where you can add things like your default gateway. Examples can be found in "man interfaces"). Here's another example:

enjae[westk]:/home/westk> cat /etc/network/interfaces
# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
# automatically added when upgrading
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian installation
# (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
# automatically added when upgrading
auto eth0
#iface eth0 inet static
#       address 192.168.123.2
#       netmask 255.255.255.0
#       network 192.168.123.0
#       broadcast 192.168.123.255
#       gateway 192.168.123.1

iface eth0 inet dhcp

Your DNS addresses should go in '/etc/resolv.conf'; see "man resolv.conf". Mine looks like (only with real numbers instead of x's and z's):

westk[@westek]:/home/westk> cat /etc/resolv.conf
search acu.edu
nameserver 150.252.xxx.yyy
nameserver 150.252.xxx.zzz