"Restoring" system after MB/processor upgrade

I'm thinking about upgrading my system from its current AMD Athlon XP
based system to a P4 (actually, I need to put together a new system for
my son, so I'm thinking of giving him my current MB/processor and
putting a new MB/processor into my system).

Obviously, I don't want to lose my current testing installation in the
process. I'm hoping that an MB/processor swap into the case and a reboot
will leave me just with a rerun of modconf to change installed modules
to match the new hardward's ethernet and sound cards (I'm goign to reuse
my current video card) and I'll be back in business.

In case things go awry, however, and I have to do a new fresh install, I
was thinking that I could use apt-show-versions to good effect.

My thinking was to use apt-show-versions -b to get a listing of all
installed packages, run the output through sed to remove the "/testing"
part of each package so I am left with just a listing of installed
packages, and save the output to a file.
	apt-show-verions -b | sed -e "s/\/testing/" >saved-package-list

Then, if the whole thing goes kablooey and I need to reinstall from
scratch, I just throw in my woody CD, redo the install and configure
modules. Then, I can re-update to testing with dist-upgrade, and then
use apt-get install $(cat saved-package-list) to suck back in all the
packages and stuff presently on my system.

	Since all of my data and my /home are on an nfs share from my server,
including all my kde menus and stuff, this should (hopefully) give me a
full system restore.

	Comments - will this work?

nl