Re: Sid CD fails as apt source

Greg Madden wrote:

On Wednesday 03 September 2003 04:36 pm, Andrew Malcolmson wrote:

John Stevenson wrote:

I'm trying to use a sid iso image as a apt source.  I've
successfully mounted it and added a file entry to sources.list as:

deb file:/mnt/iso/debian sid main

The correct way to add an Official Debian CD to the apt
sources.list file is to use the command:

apt-cdrom add

You should run this command as root.  This will prompt you to put
in a cdrom, do not mount the cdrom yourself as the apt-cdrom does
all this for you.  You should end up with a sources.list entry that
starts with:

deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux .....

You may find that some or all of the existing entries are commented
out by  apt-cdrom.  If you are concerned, you should make a backup
copy of sources.list.

Thanks, though pretty much the same thing happens after a apt-cdrom
add:

Scanning Disc for index files..  Found 0 package indexes and 0 source
E: Unable to locate any package files, perhaps this is not a Debian
Disc

I guess the basic problem is just that the Packages file is in a
'binary-alpha' directory instead of in a 'binary-i386' directory as
is usual.

But everyone who downloads a Sid image must have this problem but I
don't see anyone mentioning this, so what's going on here?

Uhmm.. might be a dumb suggestion, but do you have a i386 Sid cd. Sounds like you may have dl'd an alpha iso. - --

Oh, fer chris' sakes. I guess I downloaded the wrong jigdo files and then thought alpha was like in an alpha release.

Thanks for that