Device permission problems

I have recently encountered a problem that when a regular user logs on to a
workstation (these are the workstations I just migrated from RH9 to Sid), that
they get errors about permission problems with /dev/dsp (symlink to /dev/dsp0)
and /dev/cdrom (symlink to /dev/scd0).  To correct the problem I did a chgrp
users on the offending devices (scd0, dsp0, and mixer0), but I am not happy
with
that solution

Also, my users are also getting an error: "Couldn't open mixer device
/dev/sound/mixer" I checked, and it is not there.  I solved that by creating a
directory called /dev/sound/ and then symlinking /dev/sound/mixer/ to
/dev/mixer
which then points to /dev/mixer0 and gives the same problem as above with the
group ownership.

I did this becuase I am unable to add the users to the cdrom and auido groups,
since NIS won't export system group memberships.  The Red Hat machines did not
have this problem previously, so there must be a way.  Can anyone suggest a
solution that will allow me to preserve the proper permissions on the devices
and allow the users the necessary access? or should I just make them world
writable?

-Roberto

Yahoo! Messenger - Nueva versión GRATIS
http://messenger.yahoo.es