Re: "Restoring" system after MB/processor upgrade

 --- Neal Lippman <nl@lippman.org> escribió:

> My thinking was to use apt-show-versions -b to get a listing of all
> installed packages, run the output through sed to remove the "/testing"
> part of each package so I am left with just a listing of installed
> packages, and save the output to a file.
> 	apt-show-verions -b | sed -e "s/\/testing/" >saved-package-list
>
> Then, if the whole thing goes kablooey and I need to reinstall from
> scratch, I just throw in my woody CD, redo the install and configure
> modules. Then, I can re-update to testing with dist-upgrade, and then
> use apt-get install $(cat saved-package-list) to suck back in all the
> packages and stuff presently on my system.
>
> 	Since all of my data and my /home are on an nfs share from my server,
> including all my kde menus and stuff, this should (hopefully) give me a
> full system restore.
>
> 	Comments - will this work?

On my backups, I always do:

dpkg --get-selections >selections.txt

Then if things go wrong, after a fresh base install a simple:

dpkg --set-selections <selections.txt

will mark all your previously installed packages for re-installation.  After
that all you will need to do is an apt-get upgrade.

-Roberto

Yahoo! Messenger - Nueva versión GRATIS
http://messenger.yahoo.es