Re: "Restoring" system after MB/processor upgrade

on Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 12:07:04AM -0400, Neal Lippman (nl@lippman.org) wrote:
> I'm thinking about upgrading my system from its current AMD Athlon XP
> based system to a P4 (actually, I need to put together a new system for
> my son, so I'm thinking of giving him my current MB/processor and
> putting a new MB/processor into my system).
>
> Obviously, I don't want to lose my current testing installation in the
> process. I'm hoping that an MB/processor swap into the case and a reboot
> will leave me just with a rerun of modconf to change installed modules
> to match the new hardward's ethernet and sound cards (I'm goign to reuse
> my current video card) and I'll be back in business.

Most likely, nothing's going to change.

There are no drivers specific to the CPU (mostly), though there are
kernel flavors specific to specific kernel architectures.  If you're
upgrading CPUs within the P4 familiy, it's a transparent change.

Best bet is to have bootable media (boot floppy, Tom's Root Boot,
LNX-BBC, Knoppix) handy.

Peace.

   There is no K5 Cabal:  http://www.kuro5hin.org/