Re: Quoting

On Sat, Aug 30, 2003 at 12:14:07PM -0600, Harshwardhan Nagaonkar wrote:
> I would second that whole-heartedly. The current game that I want to
> play, America's Army just came out with a new version 1.9.0. Shortly
> after the windows release, they ported it to linux + mac (icculus rules
> :) . However, I guess the port was designed for an older libc... maybe
> one in redhat or something. Thats because it segfaults and the backtrace
> indicates libc being at fault.

Backtraces that appear to indicate libc being at fault generally require
more expertise to determine whether it really is libc. Consider a
program that calls strlen(NULL): the segfault will happen in libc but
the fault belongs to the calling program.

Of course, if the situation differs from one release of libc to the
next, it may be the libc's fault, although even then it's not guaranteed
because the libc may simply have got stricter about enforcing something
the calling program should never have tried to do. For example, it
appears that older versions of consolechars tried to fclose() the same
filehandle twice, which used to work by accident but is no longer
allowed.

> I didn't report this since I _am_ using something called _unstable_ !

You should report it somewhere, otherwise it's pot luck whether it ever
gets fixed.

Cheers,