Re: OT: Debian Mailinglist server slow?

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 19:23:43 -0500,
Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote in message
<[🔎] 1062203023.669.224.camel@haggis>:

> On Fri, 2003-08-29 at 18:44, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> > On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 16:41:46 +0100,
> > Pigeon <jah.pigeon@ukonline.co.uk> wrote in message
> > <[🔎] 20030829154146.GX4369@pigeon.pigeonloft>:

> [snip]
> > ..those subway tracks _are_ separate from those used by freight
> > trains, carrying, say, _chemicals_?  And there really really is
> > _no_way_, a virus can go play tick-tack-tick-tack-trick-track?
> >
> > ..2 reason diesel-electric locomotives are popular; they are
> > about as clean as your average power utility, and they dont
> > put heavy loads on the power grids.  So, freight trains on
> > the loco move keeps moving when the power grid is taken out,
> > and will swat people off the track all the way to the fire.
> >
> > ..the locomotive engineers needs to be onboard and alive and
> > capable of preventing anyone from tampering with the dead
> > mans button system, to stop their freight trains.  FUD?  ;-)
>
> Just in case you *aren't* being sarcastic, or there are people on
> the list from places that are far, far from subway trains: yes,
> subways have their own dedicated tracks.  Of course, when the power

..excellent.  Problem is, not all subway-like operators has been
smart enough to separate their tracks from the heavy irons, I
known of a few nice "Now what?" Quake-like tunnel scenarios.

> goes out, the Amtrak control stations go dead, so there is a slightly
> higher possibility of 2 passenger trains plowing into each other.

..by "separate tracks" I mean 2 or more different track system
that is in no way connected to make sure a train cannot make it
across from one track system to the other even at maximum speed
to make use of inertia to get across, without first building a
new track to connect the two track systems in question.

..and then of course we have the guys in the UK who intercepted
and basically took over air traffic control for a few minutes,
a year or two or so back.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: